By Helder Vasconcelos
About This Book
- Construct scalable and performant functions to use multi-thread asynchronous techniques
- Explore the high-level Android asynchronous constructs to be had at the Android SDK
- Choose the main applicable asynchronous strategy to enforce your subsequent awesome feature
Who This ebook Is For
This publication is for Android builders who are looking to methods to construct multithreaded and trustworthy Android purposes utilizing high-level and complex asynchronous ideas and concepts.
What you'll Learn
- Get accustomed to the Android approach version and low-level concurrent and multithread constructs to be had at the Android SDK
- Use AsyncTask to load info within the historical past, providing growth ends up in the meantime
- Enhance UI functionality and responsiveness by way of sending paintings to a carrier operating within the background
- Defer, time table, and batch paintings at the Android process with out compromising the battery lifestyles and person experience
- Use the JNI interface to execute concurrent paintings on local layer
- Pull and push information out of your community servers utilizing the Google GCM platform
- Create and compose initiatives with RxJava to execute complicated asynchronous paintings in a predictable way
- Get conversant in using the Android Loader build to carry up to date results
Asynchronous programming has bought substantial significance in Android programming, in particular once we have the desire to make use of the variety of self reliant processing devices (cores) to be had at the most up-to-date Android units. to begin with, we'll speak about the main points of the Android technique version and the Java low-level concurrent framework, introduced by way of the Android SDK. subsequent, we are going to talk about the construction of IntentServices, certain companies, and exterior companies, which may run within the heritage even if the person isn't interacting with them. In a extra complicated part, you'll create heritage projects which are capable of execute CPU-intensive initiatives in local code–making use of the Android NDK.
You could be then guided in the course of the strategy of interacting with distant companies asynchronously utilizing the HTTP protocol or Google GCM Platform. ultimately, we'll introduce RxJava, a favored asynchronous Java framework used to compose paintings in a concise and reactive way.
Read Online or Download Asynchronous Android Programming PDF
Similar tablets & e-readers books
I used to be very annoyed with my buy and that i was once considering to write down a assessment out of frustration. in spite of the fact that, after i have noticeable the 5-star reports from different clients, i could not think my eyes. One overview was once raving in regards to the code samples (absolutely ridiculous) after which I observed another reader leaving a remark for the evaluate announcing that he is been engaged on the pattern code for weeks and nonetheless could not make it paintings and that i can relate to that.
For iOS five on iPad 2 and iPhone 4/4s notice 1000's of tips and tips you should use together with your iPad or iPhone to maximise its performance as you employ your iOS five cellular gadget as a strong conversation, association, and productiveness instrument, in addition to a feature-packed leisure equipment. as well as studying all concerning the apps that come preinstalled in your iPhone or iPad, you know about the very best third-party apps at the moment to be had and observe valuable thoughts for the way to top make the most of them.
This short considers many of the stakeholders in modern-day cellular machine environment, and analyzes why widely-deployed safety primitives on cellular gadget systems are inaccessible to program builders and end-users. latest proposals also are evaluated for leveraging such primitives, and proves that they could certainly advance the safety houses on hand to functions and clients, with out decreasing the houses presently loved by way of OEMs and community providers.
Have you ever thought of construction video games to your cellphone or different instant units? even if you're a first–time instant Java developer or an skilled specialist, starting Java™ ME Platform brings fascinating instant and cellular Java software improvement correct for your door and gadget! starting Java™ ME Platform empowers you with the flexibleness and tool to begin development Java purposes on your Java–enabled cellular gadget or cellphone.
- Taking Your iPad to the Max, iOS 5 Edition, 3rd Edition
- iOS 6 Foundations
- Core Data by Tutorials: iOS 8 and Swift Edition
- The Unauthorized Guide to iPhone, iPad, and iPod Repair: A DIY Guide to Extending the Life of Your iDevices!
- Graphics and Animation on iOS: A Beginner's Guide to Core Graphics and Core Animation
Additional info for Asynchronous Android Programming
Following this definition, Android's Looper executes on a thread that has a MessageQueue, executes a continuous loop waiting for work, and blocks when there is no work pending. When work is submitted to its queue, it dispatches it to the target Handler defined explicitly on the Message object. A message is a notification object containing a description and arbitrary data object that can be sent to a Handler. The Looper on Android is an implementation of a common UI programming concept known as an event loop.
If the activity finishes before the 10 minutes are up, it cannot yet be garbage-collected because the implicit reference in our runnable means that the activity is still reachable by live objects. So, although it makes for a concise example, it is not a good idea in practice to post non-static Runnables onto the main thread's Handler queue (especially with postDelayed or postAtTime) unless we're very careful to clean up after ourselves all the references to the inactive Activities. If the MyActivity object is not garbage-collected in 10 minutes, a memory leak with all the activity views and resources will increase your memory consumption until you reach the maximum heap space per application available.
The prepare() method is responsible for initializing the MessageQueue and attaching the queue as a ThreadLocal parameter to the current thread. When loop() is invoked, the run() method will block until the looper is interrupted to process new messages be added to the queue. prepare() must only be called once from within the same thread; otherwise, a RuntimeException will to be thrown that says only one looper may be created per thread. When we want to stop the continuous Looper execution, we can either invoke its member function quit() to stop it without processing the remaining messages in its queue or quitSafely() to process the remaining work on the queue and stop.